Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Finding your voice, Inspiration, Copying, Pinterest, etcetera, etcetera.

"Finding your voice, inspiration, copying, Pinterest, etcetera, etcetera."

The words above have a lot more to do with each other than you think.

Last few weeks there have been some big blow ups about copying...copyright infringement from big companies of artist's work.  Such as here...lisa congdon.

Kelly Rae Roberts wrote a post on it as well with her experience, but I think it got pulled.
Can't find it.  At any rate, I know A LOT of artists who get ripped off by big companies.
There are a lot of us that get copied by just regular folk too.

A good friend of mine who paid me to design her logo, just found a lady who copied it 100% and plastered it on a trailer she painted just like my friend's trailer.
When the woman was confronted, she said she thought it was ok, because it was on Pinterest.

So...what is this?

Now, I know many of my friends LOVE Pinterest.  
I am actually indifferent to it and the above is why.

In this digital age, everyone surfs the internet for "inspiration".
What "inspiration" means to one, is very different for another.

My son worked for Forever 21 and told me the designers there scan the internet all day looking for "inspiration".

Now we all know, big companies like Forever 21, Target, Anthro, Urban copy all of the time.
People copy people and um, here it goes...I've seen "artists" copy or are TOO closely 
"inspired" by other artists.

Pinterest is probably the #1 place people go to look for ideas.
It is what it is.
I only go on once and a while and only do so because
it is necessary to maintain a social media presence.

Once had a girl following my etsy page 
(mind you I never have sold on etsy, only bought so why would someone follow me.)
Well, turns out she was following me because she was making and selling 
my "Bling Baby" doll displays I made at the time.
Made me laugh. Kinda.
 But I taught the class and sorry fellow teachers, the minute you teach something you make, it is really OVER and you HAVE to expect people to emulate you.  
I can see constantly who has taken who's class by the way their works starts looking.

Um, where do we draw the line...or can you?
Not really unless you pay the copyright on everything you make, scan the internet constantly searching for copies of your work and THEN, pursue it legally.
Unless you have deep pockets and an attorney on call, if you fight every battle,
you are going to lose all of your creative mojo.

Oh, and don't ever teach it....or publish a book on your process.
Now please don't take this wrong.  Every artists owns their own intellectual property and it is Totally NOT okay to copy, but it will happen if you create something really cool.

One has to choose one's battles.  Some seriously need to be fought, others, not so much.

I think it is safe to say, you can never really truly combat this. 
Which is why personally one has to be careful with what one
creates and really truly try to have original thought.

This wonderful post was in my inbox this morning and goes along with these thoughts.
It's from Flora Bowey, who ironically is the ONLY painting class I have ever taken because not only do I adore her work, her philosophy speaks to me equally.

Now...go doodle, paint, solder, sew,  play or create whatever you want...from your HEART. XOXO



Quick Links





I believe we each have a higher purpose, a reason for being alive and a way to contribute to the world that is unique and necessary. I also believe that the key to discovering this divine path resides in our ability to trust our intuition and understand that our unique way is often the best way. As Martha Graham so powerfully states,

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost."

 [Image: Zipporah Lomax]

However, we live in a world full of other people's opinions. With friends, peers, parents, blogs, books and social media all vying for our attention, how do we stay true and connected to our own life force, our unique vitality and our personal belief systems?

For me, it is increasingly important to quiet my mind, breathe, listen to my body and intuition and trust that the subtle signs I pick up are important guideposts in my life. This kind of mindfulness certainly does not have to happen on a fancy meditation cushion. In fact, I find that weaving these moments of quiet reflection throughout my entire day is the most effective way for me to stay in steady contact with my higher purpose.

When I find myself questioning what to do, I often just close my eyes, take a couple of deep breaths and ask myself, "What is my truth here? What feels good in my body? What will serve my higher purpose?"  When I am connected in this way, it becomes easier and easier to distinguish what "my way" looks and feels like. In these quiet moments, the swirling of other people's opinions simply fall away, leaving only my core truth behind.

[Image: Zipporah Lomax]

As you might imagine, trusting in your own unique way of creating also leads to moments of flow on the canvas. There is simply nothing more liberating than trusting and committing doing it yourway. In fact, I believe this is what the creative process is all about!

I want to add that doing it "your way" does not mean charging ahead without a care in the world. It does not mean disregarding other's opinions out of sheer stubbornness in order to get what you want. Nope. When I say, "Your way is the best way," I am referring to your most truthful and authentic way --- I am referring to your soul's way.
  
This week, find moments of stillness, commit to your way and shine your unique light in the world. Trust in your own truth and allow these truths to guide you, both on and off the canvas. We would love to hear about doing it your way on the Bloom TrueFacebook page and on Twitter.



2 comments:

  1. Great post Lisa. Sometimes one has to wonder if the ever-important, common sense, is slowly waning away within our society. I couldn't even imagine doing something like that. I guess I know that most (all) of my Art friends do so to make a living. Maybe that needs to be brought to light. When someone "steals" from an Artist, regardless of what it is, you are really stealing from them. For me taking classes has been all about getting away for the day and playing with whatever was being taught and taking a break from my mommy life and never about "learning to sell". I really hope people start to THINK about what they do before they do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Amber. Some people may get it and some never will and don't care. I think often people think, "might as well, other people copy, big companies do, why not." or they think that artists are making BIG money...when most aren't. Or they are jealous, or can't afford it or get some self satisfaction that they figured out how to make something. Most of us are just doing what we do to get by. For me it's about self respect, prescribing to a higher "morality" of what is right and wrong...just because. Truly treating others as you want to be treated. XOXO

      Delete