Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Homeless Man

Homeless man on my street
digs through recycle bins

peering from my window
he puts a magazine gently in his pocket

perhaps his only entertainment

He moves onto the next bin

I scurry to find a recyclable to offer
only one water bottle
half empty
or 
half full?

pour part on two plants
and the rest in my mouth

run outside

Approach him

a rugged
weathered
bearded
tired
face
pretty brown eyes
peer at me.

Pensive.

Surprised.

Handing him my one little bottle,
I apologize for not having more to offer

we rarely have cans or bottles

He graciously thanks me,
nodding his head.

I return to my home
He
to the next recycle bin.

- Lisa Loria
12/10/14


After I ate breakfast I threw some food in a bag and some bottled water. 
Hopped in my car and tried to find him. no luck.

Wish I had thought of packing him food before he left my street.


3 comments:

  1. You have a great heart my friend~ If every other person, not every person Im a realist ( kind of) had the same heart and made the effort to care with actions....What a wonderful place this may be....XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love when I hear stories like yours. I think we all need to do what we can for those that a little help when we can. Thanks for being a person that cared enough to make a difference in this man's day!

    Take care,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete